Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Thursday, August 22, 2024 - Noise from the rear of the bike


I've been hearing a consistent rattle from the rear of the bike for awhile.
Kinda checked all the obvious stuff (loose hardware, saddle bag, etc.) and nothing obvious.
I was wondering if the rear cassette was loose.
So, I tried wiggling it with a pair of plier but couldn't really tell.
with the wheel off the bike, checked the locking ring on the cassette.
It wa not visibly loose but when I tried to turn it with my hand, it turned...  So loose (certain not 50 Nm - 37 lb-ft).
I'm not sure if I have the right tool for the Campagnolo locking ring.
This toolbox has some of my bicycle tools in it.
Don't have the right tool.
Measuring the inner diameter to see what size it is.
A little bit of grit inside.
Since I don't have the right tool, I can't really use this rear wheel at the moment (this is the one that I just repaired the flat rear tire on).
This is the wheel that has the worn out rear cassette (was making my chain skip).
I had ordered a replacement cassette previously.

I do have the right tool for this locking ring (Shimano).
Park Tool.
Need a large wrench and a cassette holding tool (also Park Tool).
The cassette holding tool is not correctly positioned in this picture.
Got the locking ring off.
Sand/dirt inside.
With the cassette removed, the splines of the hub are dirty but not damaged.
Cleaned.


Applied some light grease to the hub and the lockring\ before installing.


There a spacer that goes in first before the cassette (the new cassette didn't come with the inner shim).
I reused the one from the worn out cassette.

Tightened the lock ring to about 40 Nm (30 ft-lb), by feel (didn't use a torque wrench).


Also cleaned & lubed the quick release.
Ready to go back on the bike.
Installed on the bike & the shifting was checked and adjusted.
Ready to go.
The old worn out cassette.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment